Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Fix it Up!

Fix it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do
or Do without!

This is the time of year when I feel like burning my house down and starting all over. Why is it that I have not yet learned my lesson and followed the sage advice given above--especially the do without part? I have the post Christmas cleaning frenzy. This is not just any ordinary cleaning either--this is the delve into the darkest recesses of my home and see what has spontaneously multiplied in the past year. This is the time honored tradition of wondering what in the world was I thinking when I bought that?

As mounds and mounds of garbage were put out on the curb yesterday to be picked up and disposed of and as two garbage sacks (the BIG black ones that can hold an elephant) were put on the door step for the donation truck to pick up and also dispose of, I shake my head in awe at my own stupidity. Seriously, two days before Christmas I helped the kids de-junk and de-clutter their bedrooms. In the process I fixed two guns, a sword and a crossbow. The boys were in heaven. In fact, I'm pretty sure that they were happier that day then they were on Christmas! At that moment, why didn't I pause to think that at this same time next year...or next week...I would be cursing myself for giving the boys that army set with all of those little pieces and guys that I will be stepping on or over until I crack and throw the whole set out?

I really should have learned my lesson by now...but alas...I haven't.

If their is anything positive that I have learned is that I can fix quite a few things. In the past month I have fixed my computer, those blasted toys, the vacuum, a leapster, a doorknob and attempted to fix an electric mop--however that one ended in a dismal failure. My resolution for the upcoming new year is to stick to the advice of the previously quoted poem

Now, let's go shop those after Christmas sales!

1 comment:

  1. So funny and true. As I unload at least one bag or box full of clothes and toys to the donation box every month, I wonder, "why wasn't this considered junk last month?" This year, we truly have MORE than we need. I have a gift card to spend, and I can't think of anything to spend it on. I'd rather have NOTHING than something else to worry about.

    ReplyDelete