Monday, February 15, 2010

My Dad






























































































I have the most wonderful father. I am so grateful for the life that he lead and the example that he set. He passed away five years ago, and this week has been a little emotional for me. Of course, what can you expect with a house full of little kids and one in particular who sleeps very sporadically! Last night for dinner I breaded some fish fillets and that fishy smell took me back to the many fishing trips that we used to go on. I loved to fish with my dad. Well, let me rephrase that. I loved to hold the fishing pole after my dad had baited and cast the hook and took the fish off the hook if I did by shear luck snare a fish. That fishy smell reminds me of the quiet hours basking in the sun watching the waves lap at the shore of the lake. Since my time is short I'll just enumerate a few of my favorite memories about my dad and several of the things only my family will probably understand--too bad they rarely read my blog!
  • not being able to "lick my own lips"
  • Redfish Lake and camping (that was before I was opposed to being dirty)
  • taking a "short cut"
  • gathering eggs from the chickens
  • bowling with proper form even though the ball was as big as I was!
  • riding around on the tractor with him and then watching my girls have the same experience.
  • running his lunch into him at the train station in Pocatello
  • gardening with him
  • his ability to do absolutely anything
  • how much he loved Herbie--often referred to as that dumb dog
  • online chatting in the middle of the night after I moved to Texas
  • generosity
  • unwavering love
  • watching Allison wrap Grandpa around her little finger
  • starting the curtains on fire at the beach
  • gathering shells on the coast
  • his infectious smile and laugh
I must stop now as it is time to get dinner ready, but I will add to my list later--probably in the middle of the night! I do miss my dad, but I'm thankful for sweet memories and for the knowledge that we are an eternal family.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post, I love all the pictures, especially his military picture...what a handsome guy and a special man!

    ReplyDelete