Sunday, April 25, 2010

Fish Fry Fryday

Well, we didn't really fry the fish, and we didn't have it on Friday, but every Friday during Lent we drove past this church and they had a huge banner hanging out front with that title. It seemed appropriate for our fish dinner tonight!
We are not a fish family, and I will freely admit that this is my fault. Brent loves fish. I hate fish, but knowing that it is good for us and that the kids really should learn to eat it, I have tried to incorporate it into our diet--without much success I might add. I have learned to tolerate it, and I had thought that the boys were starting to develop a taste for it. The girls on the other hand have to be bribed handsomely (or threatened severely) in order to get them to even eat a small piece. Tonight, however, was a different story. It didn't help things that I told them that we were eating flounder. The kids have been studying aquatic animals and have already studied about the flounder. Braden even got out the science book and turned to the page with the picture on it! They decided that it was ugly, might be poisonous, and wouldn't eat it under any circumstances--except Camden that is. He climbed up to the table, took no notice of the complaints of his brother and sisters and declared that he liked fish that it was yummy amid silent cheers from Mom and Dad. Now, lest you get your hopes up too much just take a look at the series of pictures to follow. Keep in mind that no one gets an ice cream treat until they have finished their possibly poisonous flounder.The face is priceless. Apparently this fish is not quite so "yummy" as he had thought!

Yes, he is gagging on his dinner. I have heard threats that their dinner was going to make them throw up, but no one actually ever came this close to it!

And this, with fish still in his mouth, is the victory laugh of "Ha Ha I did it!"

It was most entertaining.

2 comments:

  1. Too funny! I used to think I didn't like fish. You just aren't trying the right kinds : ) You could find a recipe that just has fish in it and they might not even know it's fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Still can't believe he is crawling and standing!!! Holly hasn't even rolled over yet without the help of pillows and gravity doing it for her. She is a cuddle bug and gets held A LOT, so maybe that is why she hasn't learned any of those other things. She does sit up well, and she has her two front teeth and says mama dada and buba

    ReplyDelete