Wednesday, April 7, 2010

You REALLY weren't meant for that JOB.

Have you ever met someone while running your errands that really just wasn't cut out for the occupation in which they were employed--the grumpy clown or the hairstylist with the awful haircut! Well, while those might be a little extreme, we have come upon a couple of our own candidates who really need to rethink their career choice.

The first was the grocery store clerk. I was purchasing our weekly allotment of fruits and vegetables which included a stalk of celery. The clerk who was checking us out was in his late teens--easily a senior, but I digress. He manages to fumble through the apples, bananas and oranges. He needed a little help with the cucumbers, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed that he had mistaken them for zucchini. Suddenly everything came to a screeching halt when he picked up this alien vegetable. It was green and skinny with funny leaves at the top. What could it be? His puzzled face quickly showed frustration as he flipped through his coded cheat sheet to no avail. Finally in desperation he turned to me and mumbled something. I'm telling you that whatever language he was speaking was probably a relative to the English language--a far far distant relative. (Did I mention that he was born and raised in the good Ol' US of A and that he did not appear to have any foreign blood in him at all.) After guessing at what he had asked twice and apparently giving the wrong answer, I managed to make out that he was asking what was this strange green vegetable. After recovering from the severe shock I had just received--who doesn't know what celery is?--I responded very calmly and surprisingly without too much emotion. Once again he returned to his coded cheat sheet--and once again without success. He then in his slang riddled incomprehensible English asked if that began with an "S". Seriously did he just ask if Celery begins with an S??? I had to bite my tongue to keep myself from giving him a grammar lesson on how C says its soft sound when followed by an E, but then I realized that I would have to explain what is a soft sound! The kid seriously needs to rethink his life choices. However, with the level of intelligence that I saw I'm not exactly sure for what he would be fit!!

The second little encounter was at the bank. Now, we don't frequent the lobby of the bank too often since we are quite the spectacle, and I get tired of being stared at. Anyway, today was the exception. The kids had Christmas checks and savings to deposit. Pretty simple transactions even though it does involve both checks, cash and change. Also, the kids were to receive a stamp towards earning rewards for each $10 deposited. We just overwhelmed the poor teller even handling only one child's account at a time. He didn't have the organizational skills or the counting skills for that matter to manage to get even one of their deposits correct!! It was a nightmare--a very long never ending nightmare! Even after it was finally all over and I had taken the kids out to the van, I had to go back in because he hadn't deposited Savanna's check. He also had the nerve to tell me that she hadn't given him a check. Hmmm...then what is this sitting upside down on your station!! He definitely needs to rethink his career choice. Oh, and did I mention that he was almost livid that there was a play penny mixed in with the kids' deposit. Yes, we were definitely out to scam the bank with that forged penny.

All in all it has been a very eye-opening experience as to the state of the general population--pretty scary!

Last but not least the laugh of the day. The kids begged to be taken to the dollar store. After their purchases were complete I took the boys out to the van while the girls searched the store for Dryden's missing shoe. Camden opened his toy, quickly assembled it and said, "Look, Mom! It isn't junk!!" He was so happy. Although, we have been home for less than thirty minutes and his toy is already in multiple pieces in the garbage.

1 comment:

  1. That's annoying...and crazy. I didn't know there were people out there who don't know what celery is! I have been surprised at the questions people have asked when I check out at the grocery store. One time I had several different fruits & vegetables, but just a couple of each. The cashier looked at me and said "are you going to eat ALL of that?" At the same store a couple of weeks later, I again was buying some produce and a different cashier asked me how long it takes me to eat "all of that". I seriously had a bag of carrots, a stalk of celery and some type of fruit. Am I the only person that buys fruit and vegetables? Maybe it's just because both were college-aged boys.

    ReplyDelete